logo of Anastasia's Table, LLC Great meals & the time to enjoy them!

Chef Patti Anastasia
Contact Me

Serving Southern New Hampshire since 2003
Map of Anastasia's Table, LLC's service area

Home  |  Services  |  Menu  |  Testimonials  |  Meet Chef Patti  |  Articles  |  Links  |  Table Talk  |  Contact Me

Table Talk » Oven-Baked Brown Rice

Last week I had a client menu that had a lot of stovetop dishes, including brown and wild rice. The oven wasn't very busy that day, so I decided to try oven-baked brown rice. I've read about it, but have never tried it. I went to the Cook's Illustrated web site to see what they had to say about baking brown rice. Their recipe was simple and turned out perfectly.

During the week, I like to have cooked brown rice and other grains in the refrigerator so that I can just grab them and use them for our dinners. I'll be making a pan of oven-baked brown rice and wild rice every weekend to use during the week. It takes an hour to cook, but once it is in the oven, you don't have to pay any attention to it.

Rice isn't very photogenic, but here it is.

Oven-Baked Brown and Wild Rice

Oven-Baked Brown and Wild Rice
adapted from Cook's Illustrated
Serves: 6

1 1/2 cups brown and wild rice
2 1/3 cups boiling water or broth, or a mixture of broth and water
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
8x8 pan
heavy-duty aluminum foil

Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 375 degrees. Spread rice in baking dish. Add salt.

Bring water to a boil, covered, in medium saucepan over high heat; once boiling, immediately pour water over rice. Stir. Cover baking dish tightly with heavy-duty foil. Bake rice 1 hour, until tender.

Remove baking dish from oven and uncover. Fluff rice with dinner fork, then cover dish with clean kitchen towel; let rice stand 5 minutes. Uncover and let rice stand 5 minutes longer.

NOTES : To double the recipe, use a 13 by 9-inch baking dish; but do not increase the baking time.

Posted October 21, 2007 2:30 AM in Recipes, Tips, Techniques & Tools

« National Meatloaf Day | Table Talk Main | Weeknight Savior »

More Information

Search Table Talk

My Favorite Blogs

I Recommend

Monthly Archives

5 Comment(s)

Martha Ulfelder said… (on October 22, 2007 at 08:41 AM #)

Patti, Thanks for the great idea. Did you mix the two kinds of rice on your own, or is the brown rice/wild rice something you buy packaged at the store?

Patti said… (on October 22, 2007 at 12:52 PM #)

Martha, I buy a brown rice/wild rice blend by the case from www.IndianHarvest.com. The bwild rice blends that the local grocery store carries is very pricey and not as good as the Indian Harvest blend. The Indian Harvest blend probably 1/4 wild rice. No reason not to blend your own. I also love their brown basmati rice and also buy it by the case.

Sherrill St. Germain said… (on October 22, 2007 at 17:44 PM #)

Thanks, Patti! I've been wanting to go with brown rice (instead of white) more often, but always end up not wanting to wait the 45 minutes, or stare at it to keep it from boiling over for the entire stove top cooking time. As you know, I'm a huge fan of cook-ahead recipes you don't have to pay any attention to, and will definitely be adding this to the repertoire. Great idea! Keep 'em coming...

Jean Terranova said… (on October 22, 2007 at 18:19 PM #)

Whole Foods and Trader Joe's now carry pre-cooked brown rice (Jasmine rice, too) in their freezer sections. Whole Foods 365 brand is really good (I thought TJ's was a little mushy). You need to be careful of the instructions -- I think Whole Foods says to microwave 4 minutes for every cup of rice, which is too long. Otherwise a really nice time-saver.

Patti Anastasia said… (on August 30, 2009 at 14:25 PM #)

I've switched to using a pan that is larger than 8x8 for this recipe. The pan that I use is about 9"x9", but is 3" deep.

Home |  Services |  Menu |  Testimonials |  Meet Chef Patti |  Articles |  Links |  Table Talk |  Contact Me